In grades K-10, the TPSP tasks consist of two phases.
- Phase I, Learning Experiences, involves teacher-driven instruction. In the lower grades, tasks require more teacher guidance than in the upper grades.
- Phase II, Independent Research, allows students to immerse themselves in a project and develop a high- quality end product that demonstrates their knowledge and skills.
Each task has unique requirements. Submission requirements are listed within each task summary. All tasks have a presentation component to accompany the final product. Please note that each task lists options for product development—students do not need to complete all of the options.
How teachers can support students completing TPSP projects
- Determining criteria for selecting a task
- Informing students of project guidelines, requirements, and scoring criteria
- Providing the instruction necessary for students to succeed in the project
- Coaching students throughout the duration of the project
- Locating necessary resources to support learning and research experiences
- Assessing student progress periodically and providing final assessments of student projects
- Certifying that the project is the student’s own work